Just as I was about to get on the treadmill this morning the phone rang and the caller ID said my grandparent’s number. I called down to Jackson to get the phone for my Mom, which he did. Than I had a thought…I should probably go down to see what the call is about. We talk to my grandparents but not often enough that they would call completely out of the blue. So, I went down to the family room and waited to hear what the call was about and how my mom was reacting to what she was hearing. My Pop-pop (grandfather) called to say that Nana (grandmother) is in the hospital again; this time for rectal bleeding that was bad enough to have her brought to the hospital in the middle of the night by ambulance. She had this happen last year, but it wasn’t bad and I don’t eve know if it ever came up with the Drs. Keep in mind that Nana is on a LOT of meds b/c she’s had multiple open-heart surgeries (all needing to be done in NYC by specialists and one surgery that only three hospitals in the country would do), she also has Parkinson’s Disease and a few other ailments. A few weeks ago there was a breast cancer scare so they had to play around w/her meds b/c of the need to do another biopsy (she’s had the same thing before), which means things were off w/her meds for a while. They are trying to get it all under control again but the bleeding now has made it even more confusing. Now all we can do is wait and see.
Pop-pop is so tired from taking care of her all the time as it is, we’re all really worried that this will do him in and if not, when she gets back home he’ll be so tired it will be even harder to take care of her than it already is. Everyone in the family keeps saying that they need to be in one of those retirement communities that are attached to medical care because he does so much and can’t really do it on his own much longer. But, they are stubborn (hhmmm, where do I get it from?) and are so proud of the fact that all those years ago they were able to buy that house that they don’t want to leave it.
Just this past holiday when my sister was down here from Maine we were talking about how hard it is to be that far away and how we really need to visit more often. I always get worried when that phone rings that I’ll have to get up there for a funeral or for the ability to see one of them because it’s not looking good. Luckily, this isn’t one of those calls, but definitely brings that idea to light again. It’s sad to say, but I’ve bookmarked the hotel site that would make the most sense for us if we ever have to be up there under those circumstances. It really saddens me to think that I have to be semi-prepared like that, for those events, which you hate to think about.
On other, more positive, fronts…
I’ll hopefully be going to get a haircut tonight. Joe needs to go get some dress pants for work and offered to take Jackson with him, probably because he knows I need a break from our lovely son. So, if he goes off for that I plan to head out for a haircut. At this point, I just need it cut and don’t plan to be too picky. Not that I’ll let someone hack the tar out of my hair, but I’m not asking for anything special. Just a cut of INCHES off and reshaping would be enough for me. I’m even open for suggestions.
My back is still in some pain but I’m just going to mention it on Thursday at the doctor. The funny part is that if we get done at the ob/gyn in time we’re going to head over to Joe’s Weight Watcher’s meeting since his leader is so excited to see me! I’ll be sort of a show and tell for the meeting if I go and she has no clue that I’d be coming. So, that would be fun.
Jackson is starting to show signs of cabin fever and needing to be in school. I’ll have to be very prepared for longer breaks and the summer, because I’m obviously not prepared enough for his time home for a few days.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home