12.24.2007

Happy Holidays everyone!

I'm already feeling the holiday indulgences hitting me, maybe it's my fault, I'm the one that makes the darn stuff...but it's all a part of the holiday and reminds me of growing up!

That said, this is my very pared down list of holiday goodies that I made this year:
double chocolate chip cookies
white chocolate craisin cookies
aunt bert's butter cookies
fudge chews (cookies)
chocolate fudge
peanut butter fudge
peppermint bark
chocolate covered pretzels - decorated w/holiday sprinkles
oh, i have to pull some almond bars out of the freezer that I already had

Usually I do far more than that, one year it was crazy and lead to 12 or 13 different kinds of cookies and bar, truffles, cheesecake, pie, etc...too much! So, this year I decided to cut back and make it easier on us. Plus, I already got rid of a bunch of it since I took some to Joe's work today for the potluck (along w/the baked ziti I put together and baked off this morning). I'll probably still throw together some pumpkin fluff, but otherwise I'm pretty much done.

The present wrapping, that's a whole different story! Tonight we have to wrap up Jackson's gifts after he goes to bed. We did the same thing last year, so I guess we're starting a tradition of sorts. The biggest reason I couldn't get it done earlier was that with purchasing for multiple parties it's hard to know exactly who's giving him what...so I have to wait to see what we have and go from there. Mind you, this would be a lot easier if we knew exactly what everyone wanted to get him and than go from there, but why would anyone want to make my life any easier, right?

Finally decided on tonight's dinner plan. It was up in the air until a few hours ago when I stopped by the grocery store and picked up a small piece of sliced smoked ham that will definitely feed us all tonight and probably have some leftovers. I'll also make some cauliflower and roast up the pre-cut butternut squash that we have too. I want to start some traditions for Christmas Eve, but not sure that's what I want to go with every year.

Tomorrow will mean getting up earlier and probably making gingerbread pancakes after opening gifts. I have some turkey bacon too, along with fruit that should be a good breakfast. Not sure when we're doing the big meal, but since it's just the four of us it's not as big of a deal. We are however having a marinated tri-tip piece of beef, along with mashed potatoes and asparagus. If I get enthused I'll make cranberry sauce, but not sure how the day will go and if I'll be up to it.

On Thursday night my sister, the nieces and my sister's husband come into town. They won't be staying with us, which irks me more than you can know. I'm almost to the point of being offended, since we have the room for them. But, the idiot (that's my sister's husband) won't sleep in anything but a king bed. Now, I get it, he's tall (6'10 1/2" to be precise) but here's the thing...They are going to be in town for three nights and they really don't have the over $350 that it will cost for them to stay at the hotel. Yes, I only can offer up a full size bed and full size pull out, but some people can't offer up any ability to stay with them for free (including them) so you'd think he could just deal for a few nights to save them money. But than again, it's always all about him. I'm so ticked he's coming down here, he's not been down here since before the house was finished and not been with the family since Jackson's first Christmas. Why you gotta put yourself in our family now? I really wish he was just staying up in Maine.

Joe's been working some crazy long hours because of the holiday, so it's nice to know he'll be home for dinner tonight. I know he could be late, since they have to get everyone out of the store to be able to close it, but at least he'll be home. And having him home tomorrow will be awesome too. It just kinda stinks that our holiday can't really begin until it's actually almost over, but at least we're able to celebrate at some point.

We're (and when I say we're, I know I really mean I'm) such a slacker this year. I still don't have the Christmas cards out yet. We only just took the picture last week, picked up the copies on Saturday night and I still have to put the pictures in the cards and write up the insides of the cards. Needless to say, mine are going out very late. I'm hoping the old adage, better late than never, works for this instance.

I picked out and purchased the bedding for the baby's room. It's NoJo's Day at the Zoo pattern. The plan is to make the room a deep taupe and green color with the border up to separate it. We knew we couldn't do anything with blue being the primary color, since Jackson thinks he's the only one that's ever liked blue...lol. So, this way the baby will have green as their main color. We obviously like the pattern and it was on sale at Baby Depot so that's why I picked it up already. We were actually going to wait, but that was shot down when I realized I could get the border for half price and like $20 off the bed set. I am glad I picked it up though, that means we can start the project of the baby's room whenever we get the chance.

The computer room has been moved around, but I should say that it really only includes the computers being moved. The rest of the junk hasn't been moved yet and the desk is actually still up there...lol! We're using a dining table since we have two computers set up which we couldn't do on the desk. I hate to say it, but the easy part is done. Now we have to move the other stuff and set up the baby's room...lots of moving crap around. But hey, I get to sit back on some of the work since I am not allowed to be lifting things over like 15-20 lbs.

I'm still working out and enjoying it. I swear, it keeps me sane. Between my two prenatal dvd's, the treadmill and light(er) free weights I'm always set to go. If I didn't do some form of exercise at least 5 days a week I think I would hurt someone.

This Friday I have my ob/gyn appointment. I swear, I'm not too smart setting up the appointment right after the holiday again. At least it's at the start of the visit with my sister, not the end. I'm hoping to talk to the Dr about the plans for the birth and get some info from her. We'll have to see how this all goes.

I think that's a good recap of the past little while. There has been some other stuff, but nothing I really want to be posting right now. Nothing horrible, which is good.

Have a Merry Christmas everyone! I hope you're able to spend some time with friends and family and are able to enjoy the time with your loved ones.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home