It just started to thunder and lightening and it's really loud! Of course I'm worried that it will wake up the little guy, but he's sound asleep as of now.
I'm all about going tanning now. I know it might not be the best thing in the world to do, but it's been relaxing for me so far. I went this morning leaving Jackson with his daddy, had a great time and came back with McieD's for breakfast.
Tomorrow is a big day. At 7 am the contractor comes to the house for us to sign the paperwork to officially start the work on the basement. It means giving a big check, but that's all thanks to my mom since the basement is being customized for her and her disability. After he leaves we go to an accessibility services place to have a special seat put in the back of the van. I'm still not sure how this is going to work with the van and how much room it's going to take up, but we got the van for this purpose so there really isn't much I can do about it now.
My lovely is trying to stop smoking. He's been telling me for years that he'll do it, but since he's been smoking for more than half of his life, it's not something that he's able to do overnight. In my sneaky way I got him the smoking cessation lozenges for Father's Day and said that Jackson wanted him to stop smoking so that he could have his daddy around for a long time. I knew that would work since neither my husband or I still have our father's around (not from smoking, but from other sudden deaths). He's been doing well and has been cranky through it all.
I realized that I may be a mean person. We have new neighbors that moved in across the street about two weeks ago and I have no motivation to meet them. The wife is staying home with the two kids and has one on the way, and this might be a good person to be friendly with for my son to play with. But, at the same time I keep thinking that I'm okay with what I've got already and don't need another person that we would need to work into our friend schedule. Gee, as I type it sounds horrible! I did say hello to the husband tonight while I was putting out our garbage, but I didn't go the extra step to introduce myself. I can use the excuse that it's because I only ran out with the trash since it is trash night and my son was in the process of going to sleep in his room and I was worried that he was crying...But the truth is that I just am not the chummy with my neighbors person that my husband is. I'll leave it up to him to make friends.
A good friend of mine from college recently e-mailed to tell me that she's moving from the San Fran/Berkeley area and taking up shop in NYC. She was in CA for law school and has been offered a great internship position as a high profile non-profit agency, she has to pass the NY bar exam but she has the job. I am excited for her and hope that everything going well...But I ended up having two thoughts. One was that it is more than a coincidence that other friends of ours are also moving right after she is, and also moving to NY...hhmmm...wouldn't have seen that coming. They are in DC now and going to NY, bet that doesn't have anything to do with the mutual friend...can you smell that sarcasm in that one? My second thought was that she mentioned what was going on with other people we know and they are all doing these big things in their lives (one girl is now a designer at Nautica and loving living in NY) and I'm a mom, driving a minivan in the 'burbs. I also thought I'd be the one traveling all over for the big job and now my biggest trip of the week is if I go to the regular grocery store and Costco on the same day...or...Make the trip to the outlets to get a good deal on kid clothes. It actually depressed me a little. I wouldn't change having a husband and a baby, but there are times that I wish I could also have the career. At those times though I also think to how that would not have allowed me spend time with my child. Either way, I would most likely feel that I was missing out on something.
Okay, enough of my self pity time...I love what I'm doing now and even though I might have changed how things happened I would never change the outcome.

1 Comments:
Kim, even though I am not a mom, I can relate to your feelings on thinking you'd be jet setting and having a more glamorous, career-focused life. It's funny how the "plot lines" of our lives twist and turn.
Oh, and I don't know that it's "mean," per se, that you don't feel like meeting your neighbors. I know you to be a very kind, open person. I just think sometimes we have our lives in a nice, comfortable place... and adding something else, even if it would be good, just takes too much energy! :)
Post a Comment
<< Home