4.21.2003

I have a questions to ask...Isn't the whole point of having a registry that people buy you things from it?

Before (and after) my hubby and I got married I was repeatedly told that the reason I wouldn't (and subsequently didn't) get many wedding gifts was that I hadn't registered for anything. I guess having told them many times that I had just replaced most of my stuff due to an apartment fire only a little over a year before we got married, didn't mean anything. I'm also a firm believer in the concept of money (be it cash or check) always fits! We were screwed over when we got married. I know we didn't have a "real" ceremony (i.e. church wedding with reception) but that doesn't mean we didn't deserve the well wishes!

I say all of this because last night my mother-in-law called. First off, she called at 9:50 P.M.. When the phone started to ring I said to hubby, that either be one of our west coast friends or someone better be dead! No, it was his Midwestern family. During the conversation, which he made short because of my glaring at him from the sofa as one of our favorite shows was on, I found out some interesting things about some of the baby gifts we are getting. It seems that my mother-in-law has taken it upon herself to print out the registries and look for the stuff at a cheaper price. The end result of this is that she expects us to constantly update the listings based on what she's been able to purchase. I'm too the point where I feel like saying, fine, give her the freaking passwords and let her just control what I want for Jackson! Like I got the time to update this shit. I haven't been able to update the things that we wanted to take off the listing after we came back that day from putting it all together. The other thing is that it's not like anyone (besides my one friend) has purchased stuff that we NEED to have the baby home. I know that the instinct is to get the cute/fun stuff, I've done it myself. But, when you make a point to put together a listing of things that you need to have the baby home, it would be great if that was taken into consideration. It seems that some of my hubby's family is buying clothes that they think is cute (i.e. little Harley Davidson outfits...which, yes are cute, but we don't have bikes yet and it doesn't make sense...RedWings jerseys I get and hope that someone buys...but come on already!) I ended up saying to hubby that even though I understand their want to buy us things, I'm sick of hearing how I'd get what I registered for, if I registered, and then they don't do that! It's all well and good to have tons of clothes, but if we don't get the stroller with the infant car seat in it, we can't bring the baby home from the hospital.

Another thought I had was that I'm over people thinking that my mother will always take care of things. After speaking with my mom on the phone over the week she made comment to the fact that since she's disabled and can't get out of the house, she wasn't planning on getting us anything. What she was planning on doing was asking us important stuff we still needed and then giving us a price limit (which would be pretty high) and telling us to go get what we needed. So, if we don't get the crib, stroller, dresser...she would let me use her credit card and purchase them. I'm over that being taken for granted by everyone (even myself!) I have to remember to tell hubby not to mention that to his family, because if I do I know they will take that as a sign that they don't need to buy us as much because it's being taken care of.

All that said...it's truly not about the money and financial aspect of it all for me! I know that might not seem like the case after my full on rant, but it's true. For me it comes down to the fact that they've told me to register so that we could get what we need for the baby...but then proceed to just get whatever they want without concern for what we want or need. Another sign of the disregard to things that I've said or plans that I've tried to make.

Completely different topic...thankfully...

Saturday I cried for while getting ready to go shopping. By the time I went downstairs hubby was all concerned because I looked like crap. I still haven't told him what I was crying about, but it wasn't something so important that he needs to know. I think it's just because it's an emotional time for me and with the holiday and not seeing family, it just all got to me.

Yesterday we had a great afternoon with neighbors. They are also pregnant, she's due about six weeks after I am, so the four of us had lunch at their place. It was really nice. We brought over some stuff to complete the meal and we spent hours just hanging out. The men were in the basement playing darts and pool and the girls just watched TV and talked about stuff. Dinner was great and I'm glad we were able to hang out and do it. We even agreed to try for it next year, babies and all!

I think I'm going to call in sick to work on Friday. I'm already scheduled to come in late because of a doctors appointment, but I think I'm going to call in prior to everyone getting here and say I can't come in. I need a day off. I've been here covering for phones and working on projects when everyone else took time off and we look pretty good for Friday on the schedule. Whatever, I'm the one using vacation, sick or leave without pay anyway. Screw it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home