We drove down the highway, making a trip only needed because of my error, while he unknowingly showed his love for me. I have made the mistake of forgetting it at times, succumbed by my fear of abandonment.
As he drove my eyes were tearing up, not because of something said or done, but because of mere exhaustion. I am not sure he even noticed my continual eye wiping. He was paying attention to the road and listening to a CD.
We sped down the road, taking pleasure in the silence and then he did something that moved me. He placed his hand on my knee as he drove. This would normally seem meaningless. Honestly, I can’t say it wasn’t.
Maybe it was my frame of mind; maybe it was the lack or sleep, or lack of food. No matter what it was, it meant the world to me. As he looked over and gently said, “I love you,” it was clearly more than words.
My fear of abandonment subsided; I relaxed and enjoyed the ride.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home